DAY 1 - QUITO TRAILS
This will be our first day of riding in our awesome local trails. We’ll explore 3 trails on 2 different mountains (Ilalo & Lumbisí area). Quito’s elevation of 2,800m will serve well to acclimatize for future days in the highlands. Overnight Casa Q Hotel.
DAY 2 - PICHINCHA mountains ADVENTURE
We'll drive up to Guagua Pichincha Volcano's refuge from which we'll hike our bikes up to the crater ridge sititing at 4600m approx. We'll then descend towards beautiful and flowy single-track traversing our way to the 'brother' of Guagua, Rucu Pichincha Mountain. We'll ride a last descent through an awesome eucalyptus forest and head for a well earned lunch! Overnight at Casa Q Hotel.
DAY 3 - Cotopaxi Volcano
Today we'll experience the definition of 'free-ride' when we tackle the amazing volcanic sand slopes of Cotopaxi! We'll do as many as 3 different descents and then ride along trails in the flatter hills of the National Park. We'll eat a nice and warm meal before driving to the village of Urbina for our overnight stay at Posada La Estacion.
DAY 4 - CHIMBORAZO & HIELEROS TRAIL
Another day of incredible high Andean exploration! We will visit the mighty Chimborazo(highest in Ecuador), to start our biking from around 5000m; being this the highest point in our tour. We’ll then descend trough the famous Hieleros Trail towards the town of Cochas, near Guaranda. Almost 3000m of descending on this day alone! Overnight in Guaranda at Hostería el Angel for our next 2 nights.
DAY 5 - MAMA RUMI TRAIL
Experience one of the longest and most legendary trail in Ecuador. Once a pre-inca pass, and later an alcohol smuggling route, Mama Rumi now serves as one of the best DH trails in Ecuador. Over 2000m drop and 11 km of trail, Mama Rumi is sure to bring a thrill for anyone! This area shows the diversity in our landscape and trails while we descend through sub-tropical jungle! Overnight at El Angel.
DAY 6 - SAN MIGUEL TRAILS
For our last day we’ll have the opportunity to sample some more local trails in the area, like the Camino del Rey trail or El Divino trail with more amazing forests to be seen. We'll have a last good lunch before heading back to Quito.
Both 6-Day tours feature the best trails from Central to Northern Ecuador. On this 2nd option we travel from Quito down south as far as beautiful Bolivar province, where we get to sample trails like Mama Rumi, Camino del Rey, El Divino, and many more. Take a look at our tour itinerary for a full description.
IS THIS RIDE FOR YOU?
- You like riding DH /AM the most and have a full-suspension bike, with hydraulic disk brakes and at least 5-6” of travel, which is in perfect shape.
- You can manage technical terrain, like rocky sections, steeps, roots, rock gardens, and terrain features such as old stone steps, natural humps.
- You've ridden some jumps and features (i.e. north-shore), or wouldn't mind trying (you can always ride around all the jumps/features on the local trails).
- You're not afraid to get out of your cultural comfort zone and experience something different, like an exotic meal or meeting the elders at a village.
- You like to give back to local communities when you go traveling.
MTB SKILL RATING
- 6 days of riding / 5 hotel nights
- 5 nights accommodations w/ breakfast included
- 6 full lunches, snacks and water for every day of riding
- Experienced MTB guides w/ Wilderness First Aid certification
- 4x4 vehicle transport with support driver
- Protective gear; such as helmet, knee & elbow pads, gloves
- Complimentary beer after each ride
- Extra hotel nights apart from 5 nights included in tour
- Alcoholic beverages
- Entrance fees to national parks or museums
- Bike rental; extra USD $390 (for 6 days)
- Clipless pedals and/or shoes